Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Orioles Offseason This & That

There's been a lot of buzz this off-season surrounding the Orioles and surprising (can you feel the sarcasm) most of this buzz isn't painting the organization in a positive light.


Let's start with the first piece of bad press they received, it came with the celebration and unveiling of the Brooks Robinson statue.


Let me just say congratulations to a great man and Orioles legend!  


With that said now let me say, SHAME on you Orioles!  When you think Orioles you think Brooks, Cal, Palmer, and you had NOTHING to do with this at all?  Not only did you not contribute any funds to it, nobody from your organization showed up to celebrate the unveiling?  It's not like you had to go far it's right across the street from your stadium and warehouse.  Which brings up my other complaint.  How is this not on the property of the stadium?  I understand Babe Ruth is from Baltimore but the man was only in the Orioles organization for 5 months in 1914, and we sold him.  He is most known for being a Yankee.  So instead of celebrating on of your own like a Cal, Brooks, or Palmer you have a statue in honor of a YANKEE.  Whatever as long as Angelos is the owner of this team things like this will continue.


Let me take a breathe and calm down a bit and talk about the next piece of news with the Orioles and that's the departure of President of Baseball Operations Andy MacPhail.  It doesn't matter what title you give let's just say GM because that's what he was.  Some criticize his player moves or lack there of some would say.  I for one think that Andy did what he could player wise, and the moves he made were good ones when they were made.  I emphasize player moves because I feel more should have been done with the organization as a whole.  You can bring in good and upcoming talent as he did, but it does you no good if you're not developing that talent and that's where MacPhail failed I believe.  Then you have international scouting and this was MacPhail's response, "We're still not head over heels in international scouting."   Really?  How has that worked out for your minor league system?  So I wouldn't say that MacPhail was a complete failure but had some areas he should have done better in.  Although the areas he dropped the ball in may hurt us in the long run in trying to be competitive sooner rather than later.


With the departure of MacPhail the way the Orioles were talked about in the media on this candidate and that candidate declining to be interviewed and you had Tony Lacava who turned down the job to stay as the Assistant GM in Toronto.  I think this was the biggest blow to the Orioles because you had a guy who was rumored to be your leading candidate turn down your offer to be your GM to stay as an Assistant GM.  So the Orioles go out and hire Dan Duquette as their new executive vice president.  Again doesn't matter what the title is he will be the GM, fall guy, scapegoat, whatever.  I'm not sold that anyone can come in and do anything under the Angelos ownership.  In his one on one interview with Steve Melewski his answer to one of the questions, answered may biggest question.  When asked if he has the assurance that he can make any moves whether it's signing players or hiring and firing staff his response was " I have the assurance that I'm going to be here to build a competitive and winning team."  Hmm, am I reading too much into this statement?  Don't get me wrong I hope he comes in here and turns things around, but until I see moves made and changes put in place I'll stand by my thinking that until Angelos goes we'll remain the same.
I'll stop my complaining now, but I feel we have a right to be a bit upset and pessimistic.  14 years of losing records has given us that right.

No comments:

Post a Comment