Monday, October 3, 2011

Race of the ages

Why the race of the ages well, because that's probably the last 5k I'm going to be doing.  Well at least the last one I will be running.  Overall I was happy with the race, but it reminded me why I haven't ran in any others.  One because I'm out of shape and two I hate running.  I like running while playing in a game like baseball or football, but constant running I'm not a fan of.  Not taking anything away from those who enjoying running, it's just not my thing.
We get there the morning of the race and it was freezing.  It probably didn't help that I was wearing shorts, but anyway it was 45 degrees and rainy.  So standing around while everyone tried to figure out where the start was felt like forever.  They finally get it all straightened out and we start walking to the starting line and everyone starts to follow us.  I remember thinking on the way down "This probably isn't good that everyone is following US", well because that's going to put us in the front of these 120 people marching down the hill.  My fears were correct as we were in the front when the gun went off.  Now when we pulled into the park it looked fairly level.  Not many hills at all and the ones we could see weren't too bad.  Well it didn't take long before we reached the hills.  Remember we're not runners so these hills hurt us.  Our only thought was let's push through, try to reach our goal of 45 minutes and whatever we do don't finish in last.  We pushed through and finished.  Not at our goal of 45 minutes but close.  We finished in 51 minutes, and most importantly we didn't finish last.  Now that it is over I am not only sore but I am very proud of us for pushing through and finishing the 5k.  This race I think kind of summed up our relationship and our infertility journey because through out the whole race we stuck by each others side and pushed each other through until we reached our goal.  Just when I didn't think I could go any further especially after the hills because my calves were burning so bad Morrisa pushed me through and got us going again, and I think I was doing the same for her when it got tough for her.  She is an inspiration to me to push through tough times.  It makes me think back when we fought through the treatments and everything she put herself through physically, mentally, and emotionally and I am forever in debt to her for giving me our amazing son.
Going and seeing all the families and all the couples there brought back all of the emotions we faced. Looking back we wouldn't change anything for the world.  Not only because now we have Noah, but because of that journey as hard as it was it made us who we are today in our faith in God and in our relationship.
As we were leaving we met and amazing woman whom we told this was our first 5k and she was curious as to why we chose this one.  We were telling her because this cause and Shady Grove meant a lot to us and she asked about our story.  We told her our story and she shared her's and it really hit home how lucky we are.  She said, "IVF didn't work for me but I still feel so blessed."  I commend all the husbands for what we go through emotionally in this journey especially those with medical challenges, but to the women you truly are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment